Thursday, May 16, 2013

Day 2- Drug Busts and self-titled towns


May 16th, 2013
South Dakota to Minnesota

     Today I woke up at 10:00 to Garrett chilling on his bed watching movie trailers.  He said he had been up for an hour and I told him he should’ve awakened me! Haha so I hurried and got ready and we hit the road and headed towards Minnesota.  Just an hour into our drive, Garrett watched a cop flip a U-turn and start coming after us with his lights off.  We had slowed down below the speed limit and he pulled in right between us and slowed down to 50 MPH.  I though, ‘I know you are a cop, but I can justify passing you if you are going 25 under the speed limit’.  So I pulled out to pass him, and as I got adjacent to him, He just stared me down, and then he sped up, flipped on his lights, and pulled Garrett over.
     I radioed over to Garrett to tear his radar detector down and that I would pull off at the next exit.  So he yanked it down and threw it in the back seat.  I pulled off at the next exit, and before I knew it, there was a cop right behind me!  I was so confused.  I didn’t think we were speeding in the first place, the way that he pulled Garrett over was weird, and then to add to all that, a second cop came to get me!
The cop came up and got my license and insurance- it was funny because I handed him my California license from a car with Utah plates.  I told him I was driving to Minnesota, and the car’s insurance was registered in Ohio, since I was driving Taylor’s car!  I’m sure the officer was so confused!  Anyways, everything checked out and he asked me to get out and come join him in the police car.  Wait, what!?  I have been pulled over once or twice before in my life, but I have never been asked to get out of the car! So I questioned him to make sure I had heard correctly and sure enough, he had asked me to get in the passenger seat of the police car.  So I went over there, he ran my information, started filling out some paper work, and then he finally decided to tell me what was going on.
     He said that he was just writing me up for a speeding warning and that they were narcotics officers. They both had dogs to catch drug smugglers and he said often drugs are transported in a car with a decoy car alongside to take the hit while the drug car gets away if they get stopped.  To prevent this, they have multiple cops working together to make sure no one slips through.  They had noticed us communicating with the walkie-talkies, and between these radios and being two mid-twenties guys driving along side each other in separate cars, we matched their profile perfectly.
     He told me they were searching Garrett’s car for drugs and they would be searching my car, too.  I laughed playfully and said they wouldn’t find anything in Garrett’s car, and gave him permission to search mine.  After a few questions about my arrangements with the Jensen’s and the possibility of them having drugs in the car, etc, I laughed again and told him that we were all pretty clean-cut.  I gave him the keys, he searched the car, and after questioning me about the vile on my key-chain (which is for oil for giving priesthood blessings—not drugs! haha), he let me go without even using the dog! We passed the search!  Garrett said he had a similar experience, but also added when his car got searched, the cop came back and told him that radar detectors are legal in South Dakota! haha
The cop pulling away after our drug bust
didn't end up getting anyone busted
     We got back on the road, each of us with an off-the-record speeding warning in hand for going 77 in a 75 zone—a sad excuse to justify pulling potential drug users over. haha  We soon got to Mitchell, SD, where I insisted we stop.  Not everyone shares his or her first name with a city, so I had to take advantage of the fact that we were driving through. I got a hat and a t-shirt there, both with my name on them, and took a few pictures at the corn palace. We ate lunch and got gas, then got back on interstate 90 headed east.
The world famous Corn palace in
Mitchell, SD, along with it's namesake

Welcome to Minnesota!
     The rest of the drive was incident free, and we arrived at Matt and Camie’s house around 6:30- just in time for dinner!  Taylor and Hayley have been here for a few days, as they have been house hunting.   They start work here in a few weeks and drove a moving truck across the country last week.  Eric was also here waiting, as he flew to Chicago and took a bus up here a couple days ago and has been third-wheeling it with the Jensen’s for a few days!  So finally all 5 of our tour group were all together.
     Camie had made chicken salad sandwiches, which were delicious, and we ate those on the back patio with their family.  We cleaned up dinner then headed to a park to hit a baseball around and play some catch.  It felt good to swing a bat, and if nothing else was official enough yet, that was a good start to the tour.  We came back here and watched some bootleg TV series that Matt loves, and soon enough we will get to bed for our big day tomorrow: first game of the GLBBT

Stats:
Miles Traveled today: 485
Hours in the car today: 8
Miles traveled total: 1285
Hours in the car total: 21
National Monuments visited: 1
Narcotic searches: 2

Be sure to follow us on Instagram: #glbbt13



No comments:

Post a Comment