Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 3- Minneapolis


May 17th, 2013

     Today I woke up to a couple of cute little boys trying with all their might to carry on their normal morning, while not waking up the guys sleeping on their couches!   They were just playing some chess, and they quickly moved to another room when they saw me stirring.  Later as I was lying there half asleep, Camie heard me sniffling non-stop and diagnosed me with allergies and hooked me up with some allergy medicine.  I’m supper glad, because my eyes were heavy all day and I was sneezing, etc. anyways.  I can only imagine how bad it would have been with out the meds! Eventually the older Christiansen kids got off to school, and we ate a delicious egg casserole for breakfast while little Wyatt painted watercolor pictures for each of us.  For those who don’t know, we are staying with Taylor’s sister and her family- but the trick is she married my cousin!  So it was good to be able to stay with them.  Matt’s sister Alisa (also my cousin, obvi’s…) came by in the morning with her kids to hang out and see her very favorite cousin in the world! Haha
Favorite Uncle? Nah... But I tried!
     She left her son, Owen, behind, leaving me 2 guys to practice being an uncle on!  I’ve been in an unofficial no-contest contest with Taylor as the favorite uncle in this house! Haha- Taylor obviously wins in a landslide because he actually is their uncle and has years of hard work with these guys behind him, but I still made a noble effort.  Lots of wrestling, tickling, etc… But in the end, I think I held my own! Haha  I think the funniest moment was when I told Owen I had a secret and picked him up, and gave him a raspberry on the belly.  I later asked Wyatt if he wanted to hear a secret, and he grabbed his shirt and started lifting it up while saying “yes…” in a super shy tone! Haha it was really funny...

     We headed to a park in the morning and took batting practice.  It had rained all night long, so the field was kinda wet, but it was still fun.  We busted open a ball because it was probably a cheaply made Wal-Mart ball. After hitting and playing catch, we headed back to Matt and Camie’s house to shower and then went to the Mall of America.  Now, I have been to that one mall in Newport that is huge…. And I knew MOA was huger than that.  So I was expecting this incomprehensibly larger mall, but it couldn’t have been too much larger that south coast. Just sayin…. Anyways, it was still huge, just not as huge as I had built it up to be in my mind.  Anyways- we ate lunch there, looked through a few stores, and a few of us bought a few things.  But other than that, we were there just to say we went there!  Oh, and we stopped at the Peeps store because Hayley had a coupon for some free stuffs, and they hit us up big time with free samples of Mike and Ikes.  Wonderful.
Batting Practice in a Minneapolis park
The 4 guys in Mall of America

Hayley getting Mike and Ike's

     After the mall, we went out into what was now a rainy city.  We headed to a couple of pretty lakes in the suburbs of Minneapolis, then to the sculpture garden.  We walked around the garden a bit, took some pictures, threw a baseball on the lawn in front of the famous cherry on a spoon exhibit, and just had a good time.
Hay, T, EZ, and Garrett at the rainy lake

Eric with a photo bomber at the sculpture gardens

We then drove downtown and hopped out at target to get some odds and ends, and we snagged a quick dinner at the target express.  We drove passed the Metrodome, which (I am going to sound like I did with the mall of America here) and I was once again underwhelmed with the size of this place.  I felt like it was way smaller than any stadium I had ever seen.   I don’t know…. I was expecting it to just seem ginormous.  Oh well. We went to the river and to a bridge just by the St. Anthony Falls. It was a cool view, and we also went down below the bridge where the water re enters the river after supplying the old mills with water to power their mills.  It was a neat little place.  We then headed back downtown to park the car and walked over to the ballpark where we met up with Matt and Camie.
The view from above- stadium and downtown pano
     My Boss at BYU, Bill Hoops, is from Minnesota and suggested like 15 times that we enter from the Right field porch, so we for sure did and he was right!  We have a few traditions at these ballparks that we like to carry on.  One of them is getting on the jumbotron if possible.  As soon as we walked in, I spotted a cameraman by a flag pole in right field, so we headed that way.  Sure enough, they raised a Twins flag as the team ran onto the field and I was planted perfectly in the shot.  Not even 3 minutes in and we already had our jumbotron spot checked off!  We proceeded to our seats way upstairs in the far corner down the right field line. We enjoyed the first handful of innings from there.  Buchholz, Boston’s surprise pitcher who has opened the season 6-0 with a 1.69 ERA did well, going through the first two innings on like 25 pitches and striking out 4 batters!  The Twins hit a homerun and the Sox managed a run at some point, too.
The home plate angle
     Another tradition we have is walking a full circle around the ballpark, so in the 5th inning, we headed downstairs to take our stroll.  We like to stop at 3 places in particular to take pictures: Behind Home plate, down the left field line, and in dead centerfield.  So we went behind the plate and went down between innings to take a picture.  Usually it is a fight with the ushers to let us take a picture there, but the usher didn’t even bother checking tickets.  That was great, as it meant that we would not have trouble getting anywhere at all in the stadium if they weren’t even checking tickets behind the plate!  We went down the third base line a little bit beyond the bag and sat for a couple of innings. There was a high school-aged guy sitting there who I started talking to.  He said he was from KC and in the process of going to all the baseball stadiums in the nation and he had been to a whole 9 stadiums! I acted super impressed and asked him about his favorites and stuff, and he told us he was collecting pins at each stadium.  I was sincere in my questions and being excited for him going to all the parks, but we were secretly laughing inside because we are at 18, soon to be 23 stadiums! Haha but I didn’t feel like stealing his thunder. We whispered jokes under our breath about it and stuff. Haha
     Near the end of the game, we got up and continued our circle.  Garrett got his traditional 59-fifty hat, we took our outfield pictures, and then plopped down in deep right center for the end of the game.  The game went 10 innings and in the top of the 10th, a fly ball was hit to left center field with a runner on third. The two outfielders were both camped under the ball and luckily, the centerfielder caught it, but they ran into each other as he went to throw home and he had to double clutch in order to get the throw off.  It could have been a close play at the plate if he had only communicated with his left fielder, but who knows what would have happened.  It was too bad that they lost eventually because either the left fielder was stubborn or the centerfielder didn’t call him off….  Oh well. I don’t have any ties to either team, so it ended up being just fine.
     We hurried out of the stadium, back to the car, and quickly to bed.  We had to get up in the morning at 5:00 am to make it to Chicago in time for the 12:00 noon game!

Stats:
The CF Angle
Miles Traveled today: 50
Hours in the car today: 1.5
Miles traveled total: 1335
Hours in the car total: 22.5
National Monuments visited: 1
Narcotic searches: 2
Jumbotrons: 1

Scoreboard:
Eric 1-0
Garrett 1-0
Hayley 1-0
Mitch 1-0
Taylor 1-0
(Matt 1-0)
(Camie 0-1)

No comments:

Post a Comment